Head of Technology Apply Now
Why we are here
The ocean already contains 165 million tonnes of plastic. By 2050, plastic in the ocean will outweigh fish. In that same year, GHG emissions associated with plastic production, use and disposal, would account for 15% of allowed emissions as per the Paris Agreement. Recycling is the current solution to single-use plastic, however only 5% of plastic is recycled in the U.S. (9% in Canada). Governments around the world are banning single-use plastics and leading businesses have made commitments to eliminate packaging waste across their product offerings by 2030. Experts have proven reusable packaging in a circular economy to be the most environmentally sustainable option. However, food businesses, our primary target market, are facing a major challenge in the adoption of reusables: the costs and complexity associated with offering reusable packaging on their own are untenable. For consumers, there currently is no mainstream option for reusable packaging.
Who we are
Reusables.com is a zero-waste platform and we are creating a new future for food packaging.
We are a mission-driven technology company helping food businesses and their customers eliminate single-use plastic waste through IoT-enabled Reusables-as-a-Service. Our core technology is a proprietary tracking software that connects with our IoT-enabled tags, two mobile applications and an operator portal to enable many consumers and merchants to share an inventory of reusable containers within a network (e.g. city, university campus, grocery chains). Our product is a Reusables-as-a-Service that enables any food business to offer their customers a convenient zero-waste packaging experience. For consumers, our membership takes the guilt away from takeaway packaging and offers rewards for reusing across a growing network of restaurants, cafes and grocery stores.
Our small but mighty team is based in Vancouver, BC and we are backed by leading investors including Ryan Holmes’ LOI Venture. We are building a world-class team with diverse perspectives. We are young, female-founded, and relentlessly focused on the planet, people and profit (in that order). We work hard and play outside harder.
1. Strive for excellence
2. Assume you have something to learn from everyone
3. Play bigger
4. Check your ego at the door
5. See the path forward, not the trees in the way
Objective of the role
We are looking for a Head of Technology to help scale the adoption of Reusables through technology. Specifically this role will lead the existing development projects and work directly with the CEO to execute the company’s technology strategy both as a “coach and a coder”. In this role, the Head of Technology will have responsibility for the vision, technology roadmap and end-to-end development process of both in-house and offshore resources. There is much upside in this opportunity as the successful candidate will have an opportunity to apply their skills and experience to see an immediate impact by improving existing products, applying innovative technologies such as IoT to meaningful problems (i.e. plastic waste) and building new consumer-based products. The role will also involve exploring applications for new technologies where it makes the most business sense. The main focus of the role is on tech strategy, risk management, scalability and software maintenance.
This position can be broken down into four (4) key areas:
Contributing to the quality of the code and feature releases
- Design, code, test features in collaboration with Product Management
- Delegate the work to relevant experts on the team
- Review the work of the other developers
Software Development Management
- Build rapport and influence a globally distributed team to ensure decisions regarding software architecture and development are aligned with product goals.
- Use technical expertise and experience in larger projects to develop cost estimates and timelines for new product builds and updates to existing products.
- Employ agile project management skills and innovative staging plans focused on delivery dates that do not undermine the design and architecture of the solution required for the release.
- Examine elements of existing products and develop release strategies for improving and adding new features and requirements.
- Work with the CEO and Product Management to evaluate the ROI for developing new features and products.
- Conduct review of existing technical teams and work with the CEO to create strategies for resourcing projects (ie: hiring FTEs or outsourcing)
- Evaluate security–including “risk surface area”–of existing hardware and software product offerings on an ongoing basis, and develop realistic threat models for proposed new developments to assist in guiding product development strategy
- Audit existing product planning and product development processes and make recommendations on reducing risk to the business.
- Review and mitigate risks in current projects.
- Review and mitigate risks in staffing.
Research and Development:
- Explore possibilities for applying new technologies like IoT, blockchain, machine learning and cloud computing technologies for existing and new products.
- Explore integrations that could give enable Reusables to access new markets or scale faster
Experience and Qualifications
The position is ideal for an ambitious candidate who is looking to apply their skills and experience in a senior management role within an organization, and who is motivated by seeing the value products generate for users.
- Diploma in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline.
- 5 years overall experience with a proven track record as a software development manager, technical project manager or related position.
- Experience either leading a team or personally being able to guide and advise on such domains like Internet-of-Things (NFC, RFID), Consumer-based technology products and working with business partners integrating our solution with their solutions.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills to engage with technical teams as well as Product Management
- Experience working with node.js, MongoDB, React, and ReactNative
- Experience with POS systems integration.
- Experience with RFID and other IoT technologies
- Experience with blockchain and crypto
- Experience managing teams of engineers both in-house and outsourced within an agile development environment.
- Knowledge or experience in the company’s business domain.